Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Is the fashion world for everyone?


This may seem like a silly question, but it's one that I ask myself a lot.  Let me explain why.  I am a 29 year old man that has worked in retail and fashion in one way or another for the better part of the last 12 years.  I like to think that I am somewhat knowledgeable about the goings on in the business, but of course there are things that I miss.

Over the last few years my own personal style has evolved (or devolved depending on how you look at it.)  At one point I was only wearing collared shirts, dress pants and stylish shoes.  Over time, and with a change in the industry I was working in, my style shifted to that of the action sports industry.  Hoodies, slacks and skateboards became my norm, and I am sure you could count the number of times I wore a collared shirt on two hands, including the several weddings I attended last year.

Now I work in the Tennis industry.  It's a fantastic industry to work in, but it is not a stylish one.  My daily wardrobe has devolved to track pants and tee's, and I struggle to find my footing back in the industry I love.  I go to events, or take a walk in Yorkdale Mall, and I don't think I fit in with what is stylish.  Could it have passed me by?  

I feel like I have aged a lot in the last two years.  I get called "sir" a lot... A LOT, and I get funny looks from sales associates when they see me looking at something that I am sure they think I am too old for.  29 years old isn't over the hill is it?  At some point I will need to decide on what I am going to do regarding my plans for the future and my dream of owning my own retail operation.  I hope I won't be completely out of touch by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment